Ever hear of a himalayan salt room? Yes, an entire room made of the same salt you use to cook with. Can you lick it? NO! Well, you could, but that isn’t the point of the room.
Salt therapy has its origins from the salt mines and caves of Eastern Europe. Modern dry salt therapy has its origins from the salt mines and caves in Europe and Russia.
So the real question is; why would I sit in a salt room; and what can I gain from it?
Here are the top five benefits of a himalayan salt room:
- Enhances overall breathing: Cilia are the finite hairs that line the windpipe and act like microscopic breathing filters. According to studies, positive ions decrease cilia activity while, conversely, negative ions have a more increasing and positive effect. Himalayan salt is therefore believed to improve breathing by releasing negative ions that filter foreign particles and keep the lungs cleaner in general.
- Cleanses and purifies the air: Himalayan salt helps clean the air through an operation called hygroscopy, which attracts and absorbs contaminated water molecules from the immediate environment and locks them into the salt crystal. The process has the amazing ability to remove cigarette smoke, dust and other contaminants from the air. This benefit is particularly popular, as salty air acts as an overall health booster and can help clear the air passages.
- Calms Allergies & Reduces Asthma: Himalayan salt is believed to filter dust, mold, mildew and pet dander from indoor air. Just as a nasal saline spray uses salt to clear airways, they help to relieve allergy symptoms of all kinds. Those who struggle with asthma also claim to benefit from Himalayan salt. It is such an effective breathing aid that certain manufacturers have produced Himalayan salt inhalers targeted toward sufferers of asthma, bronchitis and other respiratory issues.
- Raises Energy Levels: Positive ions deplete the body of energy, and it is believed that Himalayan salt lamps can actually do the opposite. The negative ions increase energy levels, which yields a refreshing effect similar to the feeling of rejuvenation achieved from spending time in nature.
- Alleviate Cough & Other Symptoms of the Common cold: It is possible that the negative ions released by Himalayan salt lamps may protect against airborne germs. In addition to removing these contaminants from the air, the salt also allows the body to filter air more effectively in an attempt to block any foreign particles from making it into the lungs. This can prevent the advancement of coughing, sneezing, sore throats, and other minor symptoms of the common cold.